Saturday, June 22, 2013

Shifts in Worldviews

I was basically born into a family that was Southern Baptist. Considering that I was born in Havana, Cuba, this first statement is perhaps not expected from a typical Cuban, but I know that I am not alone on this one. I came to the United States as a child on a Freedom Flight back in 1971. I lived for a while in New Jersey, and then in Atlanta, Georgia. Sometime around the mid seventies, my immediate family shifted from Southern Baptist to perhaps what could be called Evangelical Charismatic. Sometime after this, we moved to Texas, and then we repeated each of those states all over again over the years, until eventually we found ourselves in South Florida where I still reside, and could say is very close to my birthplace. From the time we first became so called Charismatic/Evangelical we attended mostly Non-Denominational or Inter-Denominational congregations and served in them as well. Religion or Faith have always been at the center of my immediate family's value system, and I am sure many of our close friends could elaborate on this and support the fact with much evidence. So, it is from this worldview or perhaps former worldview that I approach the topic of ecumenism.

I have a Bachelor’s in Public Administration, an MBA, and most recently I acquired an MA in Theological Studies. The MA in Theological Studies is obviously where I draw the interest in ecumenism, but it is also realistic to understand that I do not come from a culture with another Christian worldview such as Coptic or Roman Catholic; therefore, perhaps my former worldview somehow sifts through my way of approaching ecumenical thought and the book I have been working on, Unifying the Faith. Of course, I can identify with the two denominations I just mentioned based on historical knowledge of them and current status. Perhaps, part of my goal is to have Christians from my former worldview identify with those of other views, such as Orthodox or Anglican, so they can identify with how we are connected in one way or another to all Christians. Yes, we are connected in the fact that at least we are all believers in Christ.

The reality is that most groups and denominations we have today did not exist, say 600 years ago, and many emerged after the Reformation. Moreover, if one goes back further in time, schisms and disagreements during early Ecumenical Councils severed the ties within the original Sees of the Church. The truth is that from the very beginning there was disunity or else why do you think that Paul said in 1 Corinthians 3:4 “For when one says, ‘I belong to Paul’, and another, ‘I belong to Apol'los,’ are you not merely men (RSV Bible)?” Obviously, some Christians in Corinth liked Paul better, and some liked Apol'los better, and this is clearly disunity in one way or another or else they would have liked them both equally. Now, the question is why the difference in choices? Well, Paul said: “are you not being merely men,” or in the original language Paul said: being “sarkikos” which is carnal or pertaining to the flesh. Why are we so divided today as Christians? I would say it is perhaps the old “sarkikos.” How do we solve this problem? We perhaps have to shift our worldviews and seek and desire the interests of all believers equally, and mostly seek the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

In these first few post I am and will be trying to simply introduce and lay a foundation to the many other ideas that will follow in subsequent posts which will broaden and expand the topic since I do have some chapters of my book manuscript completed or partially completed. However, I am sure that from time to time it will seem like we are on a time machine moving back and forward, and maybe even back to the future, although we haven’t been there yet, but we can definitely make an attempt at shaping it. Blessings!


Reference:

RSV Bible

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to clarify that I decided to become a naturalized US citizen when I turned 18 years old, and I have been a US citizen since that time. I have always been happy with my decision. I just wanted to say that since I had mentioned that I was Cuban, and perhaps I should have said that I was Cuban-American.

      Delete